09 January 2005

Philippines - Travel 2005



Boracay Sunset


January 2005

Dear family and friends,

Hello everyone. This is the fourth winter in a row in which I have headed to the Southern Hemisphere as an escape from Vancouver/Savary winters. Again this year I will be recording some of my travel thoughts and experiences. These scribblings will, in turn, end up plugging your inboxes, even the inboxes of those of you that I haven't heard from in awhile. I hope they are of some interest. Anyway, as always, I spent a minimum amount of time planning my trip and I am ever late in booking flights. However, when I headed back to Savary in mid December, I noted some graffiti in the men's washroom at Earl's Cove. A series of astutely observant weathermen had recorded the following conditions:

Oct. 13 wet and foggy

Oct. 23 cold & scary

Nov. 3 wet

Nov. 6 raining

Nov. 24 snowing

Dec. 2 f***ing cold

Dec. 7 pissin' rain

Hey, I didn't just fall off a turnip truck. On reading that, particularly "cold and scary", I pretty much knew it was time to book my flights and get away. When I got to Savary, I did just that, booking a flight to New Zealand with a stop in Manila on the way there, and a stop in Kuala Lumpur on the way back. The general area, Southeast Asia, and New Zealand, were easy choices given I will have a chance to connect with Lorraine in Auckland for a few days on her way back from Australia. I have never been to New Zealand and it has crept up my list of places to go as it is unfailingly raved about by all who have visited there. Other details of my trip are to be decided as I go, but I hope to visit some of the eastern Indonesian islands and possibly Papua New Guinea.


So, now here is an update on my trip so far. My flight to Manila was the usual arduous 24 hours, Air Canada's grim service to Los Angeles, chaos transiting LAX, a flight of almost fifteen hours to Taipei to connect with a flight to Manila. My flight from LA was really quite okay and the transit through Taipei airport, generally pretty orderly and all. But, as we were getting off the plane, a women was calling out "Call a poor, call a poor", and handing out yellow cards to everyone, and directing people down a corridor. Still only half awake, I stumbled along in my stupor with the other passengers for a short bit, yellow card in my hand, and then I thought, "Call a poor, call a poor"?  I'm flying Malaysian Airline. Most people are not going to Manila, they're going to Malaysia. Call a poor. Kuala Lumpur!  Ooops.

After getting in the right line, I arrived in Manila on January 14th and caught a taxi downtown to 'Ermita', the principal budget/moderate traveler area in Manila. Ermita is a bit seedy, broken concrete sidewalks, litter everywhere, the smell of raw sewage, chaotic traffic spewing exhaust, noise and clamour. So, okay, maybe more than a bit seedy, but pretty much your typical large city in the under-developed world. I checked into the Riviera Mansion Hotel, which, should be noted, is neither on the Riviera nor is it a mansion, but it was okay.

Manila is a hugely sprawling city of 10 million people, and as I was pretty whacked from the long trip, I spent the next couple of days just walking around nearby my hotel. Public transit is also not easy. There are very few buses, and those few are only on major streets. Public transit is mostly served by 'jeepneys'. Jeepneys were originally recycled US Jeeps, lengthened, with a roof to cover the back, and seats along the sides to accommodate about 15 or 16 passengers. Many of the originals are still to be seen, but most are new ones built in the style of the originals. The streets are full of them; either shiny brushed aluminum, or stainless steel, or painted every colour of the rainbow, with fake Rolls Royce or Mercedes Benz fronts, and bedecked with flags, baubles, frills, while decals nearly cover the windshield. They all are named, Evangeline, Juanita, Angel, or they invoke God's blessing. A key requirement for all jeepneys is clearly the sound they make. Like the signature sound of a Harley-Davidson Motorcycle, jeepneys, old and new, have a distinctive throaty rumble that spews from the exhaust in a cloud of smoke. 

Typical Jeepneys in Manila
Doubtless they get people where they want to go, but for a traveler like me, it is near impossible to decipher where a jeepney is headed, or by which route. Their final destination is posted on small signs, but that is of little help when every place is unfamiliar and you want to stop at some place along the route. Fortunately, the Philippines is the third largest English speaking country in the world (English along with Pilipino, a derivative of Tagalog, are the two official languages), and the people are genuinely friendly, so getting directions is easy. Jeepneys do not have a schedule; rather they are said to leave when they are full. To me, this is not true. What I see is that they leave only when they are overloaded. However, fares are very cheap; a typical ride is about 12 cents. Money is passed forward by the passengers, and change back, and it all seems to work. Although I use them, I abhor them. I really do prefer to ride public transportation over taxis, but the roofs on jeepneys are so low it is impossible to see where you are going.

First impressions of Manila are of a city with more 7-Eleven stores and more moneychangers than any city I have visited. There are often two 7-Eleven stores in one block, and there are moneychangers everywhere you look. I never can quite understand why travelers deal with moneychangers on the street; wherever I have been (except maybe Lima, Peru) it is generally accepted that exchange rates are best at banks. Not surprisingly, many tourists complain of having been ripped off exchanging money on the street. Generally, I think favourable exchange rates will be offered, but the advantage will disappear when the money is passed over. It may well be that the Filipino psychic surgeons, so famous in the 1960's and 1970's for their mystical, sleight of hand, removal of tumors without scarring, have switched professions.

The Philippines is an archipelago of some 7,107 islands reaching from south China to the northern tip of Borneo. Over 100 ethnic groups and a mixture of foreign influences shape its people. The original inhabitants of the Philippines are thought to have been of the same racial origin as the Malays, and the islands were settled some two thousand years ago. As a major trading nation with China, the islands enjoyed a peaceful and prosperous existence until the arrival of Ferdinand Magellan in 1521, at which point he claimed the islands for Spain. (The Philippines, as a name, is a derivative of 'Philip', heir to the Spanish throne in the mid 16th century.)  Since then, their history has been bitter indeed. The Spanish expeditions that followed brought with them the honour of all of the abuses Spanish colonizers so famously delivered elsewhere in the world. An early effort dislodged the Muslim community from Maynilad (now Manila), setting up over 400 years of religious warfare that persists yet today.

As part of the Spanish imperial empire, the Philippines got caught up in the Spanish-American War at the end of the 19th century, and were 'liberated' by the Americans. The Philippines proclaimed their independence on June 12, 1898. But their independence was short lived as, at the end of the war, the US effectively bought Guam, Puerto Rico, and the Philippines for $20 million. And with that, the first Philippine Republic was dead and buried. Driven by their own imperial ambitions, the US's mission was to secure commercial control of the countries resources. By the mid 1930's they had done so and a US style constitution was approved, just before war broke out with Japan. The advancing Japanese quickly drove the allied Filipino and US troops out of Manila (leading to General Douglas MacArthur's famous "I shall return" promise). With MacArthur's hasty exit, Filipino's paid a heavy price; about 45,000 of the surrendering troops died in forced marches, or while imprisoned. A further 100,000 people died in Manila during the bombardment and crossfire when MacArthur did return in 1944.

The finally independent Philippines was left with a shattered nation and massive debts. They then chose to inflict some home made misery when they elected Ferdinand Marcos as President in 1965. Bolstered by the Americans, Marcos' regime of corruption and cronyism only ended in 1986. Although Ferdinand is dead and gone, Imelda his beautiful wife, voted Miss Manila in the early 1950’s and once known as the 'Steel Butterfly', is alive and well; she was recently acquitted of stealing $13.2 billion from the Filipino people. Today, the Philippines struggles under the weight of 450 years of this exploitation and occupation.

The first day in Manila, I spent right around my hotel but the next day I walked to Rizal Park named after Jose Rizal the nationalist leader who led the movement for independence from the Spanish, and who was executed in 1896 as a reward for his efforts. The next day I went to nearby 'Intramuros', the original walled city built by the Spanish in 1571. It must have been a very impressive and sobering sight to the locals when it was built, as even now, it is formidable. It was in the light of the late afternoon when I walked around on top of the walls; the moat has now been converted to a golf course and so it is quite lovely.

But Manila is hardly a place one would want to spend a lot of time, so four days after I arrived, I caught a bus to the port city of Batangas, some two hours south of Manila. There I boarded 'Super Gigi', a 'pumpboat', for the two hour crossing to Sabang on the island of Mindoro. Although they come in all lengths, pumpboats are all narrow beam, and with bamboo outriggers. The one I boarded was about forty feet long, and accommodated thirty of us. They do have a roof, and plastic covers that drop down the sides to keep out the splashing water (they were well used on my trip, as at times it was quite rough). 
The reefs in this area are a magnet for divers, but I have come here to soak up some sun. I had chosen to go to Sabang over the nearby resort area of Puerto Galera which my guidebook described as a 'haven for foreign, alcoholic retirees'. Well, that's not exactly me. No doubt those people are attracted to the Philippines by the cheap booze. A bottle of beer, gin, brandy, or vodka all cost about the same as a bottle of water, some 65 cents. (On the other hand, a bottle of 2000 Chateau Mouton Rothschild at the Manila airport duty free will cost you $1,015US.)

Street Cockfighting in Sabang
Cock fighting is the number 1 diversion in the Philippines. A major element of the 'sport' is gambling, and contests are regularly scheduled at the many cockpits, particularly on the weekends. It is a bloody business that leaves one bird most assuredly dead. Going to a cockfight is not one of the things I would readily do; I was completely cured of any interest in that kind of activity many years ago when I went to a bull fight in Mexico. But it is also not unusual to see spontaneous fights in the streets. A couple of guys will just go and grab their birds, push them together to allow them to peck each other into a fighting spirit, and then set them free to have at it. I saw one such fight as I was walking along the street in Sabang. It was hard not to see it, and in this case, happily the birds did not have the standard issue, and deadly, three inch blades strapped to their ankles, so no serious damage was done before their owners grabbed their birds to stop the fight without a killing. 

Truth to tell, Sabang was otherwise a bit grotty, and hardly a place to spend a lot of time, but I did spend five days there before I headed further south to the very famous beach on the island of Boracay. 
My trip to Boracay was a bit of an adventure. I left Sabang at 8:00AM. It took me about two and one half-hours by jeepney to get to Calapan, the major city on Mindoro, where I was able to get a bus onward to the port city of Roxas. The jeepney was jammed with people of course. And as I've said, I really dislike riding in the back as you can't see anything. Instead, I opted to stand outside on the back step and hang on. It was actually a pretty good ride. I hung on with the Krypton grip I otherwise reserve for hanging on to my money, and the jeepney bounced and swayed along the rough road, some gravel, some pavement. We wound along the coastline, lush banana and palm trees growing right up to the edge of the roadway, but at least I was enjoying great views across Verde Island Passage. About one and one half hours into our journey, the people who had been riding in the baggage rack on the roof got off, so I was able to clamor up to take their place; that is, until we arrived in Calapan where the police stopped us and made me get down.

My connection at Calapan went seamlessly, and in moments I was on the bus to Roxas, arriving at 2:00PM. Six hours of steady travel to cover 100 miles. Then, my ferry, scheduled to leave at 5:00PM, was delayed for two hours, which in turn meant we did not arrive at the small port city of Caticlan, the jump off place for Boracay, until midnight, well after the last boat had left for Boracay. There are only a couple of modest hotels in Caticlan and they were full, but luckily a port policeman arranged for me to be let into the closed and darkened terminal where I was able to sleep on the benches. At 6:00AM, when it was still dark out, I was rousted up to scribble down to the beach to catch the first pumpboats leaving for Boracay. With their wide bamboo outriggers, docks do not accommodate pumpboats well. Rather, they just nose up onto the beach. So there I was, still half asleep, splashing around in water over my knees, my bag on my shoulder, hauling myself on board another pumpboat for the short trip to Boracay.
Pumpboat for Ride Around Boracay

In the end, it was all worth it and I ended up spending a week on Boracay. Currently it appears on many of the 'best of lists' as the best tropical beach in the world. The island is quite small, almost exactly the same size as Savary, ten kilometers long and one kilometer wide. The accolades mostly derive from the allure of 'White Beach', a four-kilometer stretch of the softest, most brilliant white sand I think I have ever seen. But also, the island is surrounded by coral reefs for divers to explore, and azure blue waters of every shading stretch out to the horizon. There are steady on shore winds for sailboats, and it has become a Mecca for windsurfers, hosting an annual international windsurfing event.

Apparently the island's first industry in the 1960's was the harvesting for jewelry, of shiny, white puka shells, washed ashore and bleached centuries ago. It was the setting for a 1969 movie, Too Late The Hero, starring Henry Fonda, Cliff Robertson, and Michael Caine (so that might be a movie rental to pick up if you want to see how Boracay looked then). Next came backpackers, and then Gina Lollabrigida, actress turned photographer, who did a feature on the island, and development was on. Today, a couple thousand people live there, catering to the steady stream of tourists, most of them from Europe, and, again, mostly German and Swiss. Many of the tourist facilities seem to be owned by foreigners who married local women. One bar/restaurant, 'Still Standing After Fifteen', is owned by a Canadian ex-backpacker who landed on Boracay twenty years ago. The name of the bar comes from a standing challenge (no pun intended) whereby fifteen different shooters are lined up on the bar; they are free, and you get your name etched on the wall, if you are still standing after finishing them. It is nice to see Canada's unique and sophisticated culture spread around the world.

Boracay's Famous White Beach

There are some lavish resorts, but most of the facilities are made of bamboo and nipa palm, with cogon grass roofs, often with some driftwood thrown in. In fact many of the shops and restaurants wouldn't look out of place on Savary, particularly if situated beside Heider's At The Mint Tea House. For my week there, each day was spent mostly on the beach, the routine only broken by one boat ride around the island with several snorkeling stops. On a couple of occasions I availed myself of the many masseuses that work on the beach. One hour of massage is offered for about five dollars. My masseuse's name was Lolita. It is pretty hard to beat lying on a tropical beach in the shade of palm trees, being massaged by Lolita. Sheer bliss. It sounds pretty great, right? Tropical beach, palm trees, massage by Lolita. But I guess I should mention Lolita is 70 years old, a mother of nine children and grandmother to thirty.

Well, that is about it, my visit to the Philippines. I have set foot on four of the seven thousand islands, so I can hardly claim to know it. I have enjoyed my visit, but I have not seen enough to really know the Philippines. My guidebook describes many more beautiful islands and interesting sights which I did not get to visit. Moreover, I can not quite put my finger on a 'Philippine culture'. Unfortunately, I think the several hundred years of occupation may have stripped the nation of its original and distinct uniqueness, without leaving a new one in its place.

As some of you might remember, last year on my trip to South America, I lost my camera. This year I am packing a new digital one so I will try to attach a couple of photos. If it works, the ones attached should show:

- Typical jeepneys in Manila (224)

- Street cockfight in Sabang (222)

- Boracay's famous White Beach (201)

- My pumpboat for the ride around Boracay (218)

- Boracay sunset (210)

I am now off to New Zealand to connect with Lorraine. I hope you are all well.

Merv.

No comments: